Friday 4 November 2011

NEWS FROM LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY


It seems like a very long time ago now, and it certainly was a fair old distance away, but I have at last grabbed a few minutes to write about my experience of visiting Sutton Hoo. It was actually less than two weeks ago, and about 460 miles (via Swindon) miles away, but of course, I was also transported back in time to the sixth and seventh centuries- such is the magic of Sutton Hoo.


The seminar History and Fiction in the Age of Sutton Hoo was a great success, with a full house and lots of questions and friendly interest. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, but was very aware how little I knew about the Anglo Saxons compared with my fellow speakers. I would like to pay tribute to all of them: I am in awe of their knowledge and expertise!

Thank you to:

  • Pauline Moore for  her organisation of the event. I am looking forward to reading her book,  Storm Frost- but am saving it up for later, when the next two Trifolium Books publications are out (More of these later) 
  • Carla Nayland for her organisation of the programme, and her wit and humour, as always. 
  • Steve Pollington for adding considerably to my small word-hoard from his vast one 
  • Paul Mortimer for bringing King Raedwald to life- and for letting me handle his jewels! 


















    My only regret about the day was that I didn't have time to visit the site itself, but I saw enough, and felt enough of the peaceful and magic atmosphere of the place, to want to come back.


    And I feel I have made some new friends!



      1 comment: